Detoxing from substance abuse is necessary in order to rid its harmful effects from your body and restore your physical appearance. If you or the person in question has been heavily abusing a substance, the detox may call for medical supervision. In detoxification centers and some rehabilitation facilities, detox services are offered, complete with 24-hour-a-day supervision, prescription drugs to ease withdrawal symptoms and many comforts of home. Severe withdrawal symptoms can be detrimental to your health, causing illness or seizures, so it is highly recommended you seek the opinion of a professional physician before detoxing.
While there are specific detoxes for specific substances, there are general principles and common methods of detoxing for any substance abuse recovery that can be implemented and followed to replenish the health of the body and the appearance. These methods include:
- Hydration. Making sure to get enough fluids into your system, water especially, can make a huge difference in the success of your detoxification. Taking in fluids that have nutritional benefits, such as fruit and vegetable juice, tea and coconut water, is an excellent way of replenishing your body with vitamins and nutrients.
- Taking in amino acids, omega 3’s and fatty acids. This group of foods carries nutrients that substance abuse has a particularly devastating effect on within the body. Alcohol and drugs alike deplete the body’s reserves of good cholesterols and fats, so restoring them is vital during a detox.
- Antioxidants. Taking in antioxidants is essential to pushing toxicity out of the body. Antioxidants can be found in a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, such as berries, jalapenos and bell peppers.
- A generally balanced diet of vitamins and nutrients. Making sure that your diet is balanced between protein, fiber, grains, antioxidants and other vitamins is essential.
- Rest. The body does most of its healing while you are asleep, so be sure not to skimp on rest while you are recovering from substance abuse.
- Gentle exercise: Many people are physically taxed while they are detoxing and can’t handle major exercise, but light exercise in order to boost circulation is very good for a detoxing person.